The safety of workers and the profitability of construction projects are paramount concerns for any construction company. Bosses who put off investing in construction tech, claiming that they need to save money or it’s too hard to overhaul their systems, place their businesses – and their workers – at a significant disadvantage.
As pioneering computer scientist Grace Murray Hopper famously declared, “The most damaging phrase in the language is ‘We’ve always done it this way’.” While the construction industry has been slow to embrace technological change, the companies that are taking the plunge and implementing construction management software are reaping the benefits.
The tools being used by smart construction companies utilise:
- on-site GPS, Internet of Things (IoT) and mobile applications
- cloud-based data management
- automated reporting, alerts and forecasting
- integrated back-office systems for accounting, finance and human resources.
The tools we’ve just listed are transforming the construction phase of projects in three key areas:
- On-site execution: everything can be tracked in real time, including performance, variations, risks, costs and documentation.
- Digital collaboration: teams have mobile access to project documentation and can communicate across distances and adapt plans when necessary to avoid safety risks and increasing timelines and costs.
- Back-office integration: integrating accounting, finance and human resources systems can help companies exploit valuable project data on finances, costs and schedules.
Choosing to invest in digital tools and making sure they’re integrated with the company’s business culture is a win for everybody. A more profitable project doesn’t have to come at a cost to worker safety; and worker safety doesn’t have to compromise a project’s bottom line. Ultimately, these new technologies enable a scenario where safety and profitability go hand-in-hand.
Think about it. The factors that make sites safer actually dovetail with the factors that make sites more efficient:
- better planning
- improved on-site coordination
- better communication
- reliable performance monitoring
- real-time data capture
- mobile access to data and documentation
- less admin
- fewer manual systems
- predictive analytics
- automated reporting.
At sitemobi, maximising worker safety and company profits are at the heart of what we do.
We’ve developed products that simultaneously address on-site execution, digital collaboration and back-office integration. This makes us one of only a handful of companies to have developed a comprehensive digital solution to the most pressing problems in construction today.
McKinsey & Company noted in their 2017 report, The new age of engineering and construction technology, that startups like ours are making headway on issues that have plagued the industry for decades:
“Such improvements could not come at a better time, since construction projects are becoming increasingly complex and expensive, putting managers under greater pressure to improve costs, timelines, and efficiency.”
Interested in how we could help your business? Feel free to get in touch with us to find out more.